Ace of Spades was a Hunter-exclusive exotic Hand Cannon introduced in The Taken King, which served as the signature weapon of the Vanguard Hunter Cayde-6. It is obtained by reaching Rank 3 Gunsmith reputation with a Hunter and completing the Back in the Saddle quest. It was reintroduced in Forsaken and was attainable after a lengthy questline following the main story, and made available to all Classes. The Ace of Spades is named after Cayde-6’s son, Ace, before he became a guardian. Since the introduction of the Beyond Light expansion, the Ace of Spades can be obtained in the Monument to Lost Lights.
The Ace of Spades rewards precision kills with two main bonuses: With Firefly, all precision kills become explosive shots that do damage to nearby enemies. With Maverick, precision kills grants a bullet from your ammo reserve into the magazine. Both these perks are more useful against groups of weaker enemies, as they will not activate as frequently with stronger enemies who require multiple shots to bring down, possibly meaning that a player can expend all their ammo without reloading at all.
The Ace of Spades returns in the Forsaken expansion. Unlike its Destiny incarnation, it is no longer restricted to Hunters. In PvP, it has proven itself to be an extremely reliable weapon, outperforming hand cannons in the same archetype and others. Memento Mori grants the user radar even when aiming down sights, a trait which is shared with MIDA Multi-Tool. The perk also grants six increased damage bullets after every kill and reload, and when paired with its Firefly perk, gives it an effect similar to the Kill Clip/Outlaw combination seen on other weapons. However, unlike that combination, Memento Mori’s effect wears off when the weapon is stowed, the user is killed or when all six bullets are expended, and not over time.
Lore from (Destiny 2)
“Folding was never an option.” —Cayde-6
THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF CAYDE-6
To whomst it may concern:
I, Cayde-6, being of sound(ish) mind and body, do hereby and henceforth and heretofore leave all my possessions to the person, alien, animal, or natural phenomenon what kills me.
Aforesaid possessions include, but are not limited to:
– The Ace of Spades
– Any and all stashes I’ve hidden throughout the system
– The Colonel, my faithful friend
– My debts, which follow:
THE ATTACHED FILE IS TOO BIG TO DOWNLOAD
- Third Eye: Radar stays active while aiming down this weapon’s sights.
- Truesight IS: Flexible sight. Light, with good recoil control. Strong target acquisition.
- Quickdraw IS: Agile sight. Lightning-fast handling.
- Steadyhand IS: Stable sight. Optimized for excellent recoil control.
- Firefly: Precision kills with this weapon cause the target to explode.
- Reinforced Barrel: Increased Range. Reduced Stability.
- High Caliber Rounds: Oversize rounds built to stagger targets and leave them reeling. Their mass makes a weapon harder to handle.
- Perfect Balance: This weapon has extremely low recoil.
- Maverick: Precision kills move one round from your ammo reserves into the magazine.
- Memento Mori: Reloading after a kill loads magazine with a few extra-damage bullets. Grants radar when aiming down sights.
- Corkscrew Rifling: Balanced barrel. Slightly increases range and stability. Slightly increases handling speed.
- High-Caliber Rounds: Shots from this weapon knock the target back farther. Slightly increases range.
- Smooth Grip: This weapon is slightly easier to hold and aim. Slightly increases stability. Slightly increases handling speed.
- Firefly: Precision kills with this weapon increase reload speed and cause the target to explode, dealing Solar damage to nearby enemies.
- Funeral Pyre: Firefly deals more damage while Memento Mori is active.
- Last Hand: Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Ace of Spades.
- Salute to the Colonel: Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Ace of Spades.
- Big Blind: Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Ace of Spades.
- All In: Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Ace of Spades.